A spicy savoury meal to perk up your taste buds! Pair this meal with shepherd’s pie!
- 1 medium-sized green pepper, sliced
- 1 medium-sized red pepper, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp honey
- Juice from one lime
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 large-sized plastic freezer bag
- Label your freezer bag
- To your freezer bag, add all ingredients. (Add the chicken to the bag last, so it’s the first ingredient poured into your slow cooker.)
- Remove as much air from the freezer bag as possible, seal, and lay flat in your freezer.
- The night before cooking, move the frozen bag to your refrigerator to thaw.
- The morning of cooking, pour contents of freezer bag into your slow cooker and cook on “low” setting for 4-8 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and tender.
Tip: You can also cook this meal in a pan on your stovetop!
#healthy #health #nutrition #recipe #delicious #dinner #chicken #fajita
Yields: one large-sized bag of chicken fajitas
Adapted from New Leaf Wellness recipes
Slow cooker meals are a great way to ensure dinner is ready by the time you walk through the door from work. Here is a delicious and healthy recipe, packed with protein! Ensure that you have food from other food groups by preparing these vegetables, Mushroom Yakitori!
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 2 celery stocks, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- ¼ cucumber finely diced
- ½ cup red cabbage shredded
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 16 oz chicken stock
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 head Iceberg lettuce
- Homemade ranch salad dressing- 1 tbsp for each lettuce wrap
Homemade ranch dressing:
- ½-3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp dried dill
- Sprinkle of sea salt and pepper
- 1 small minced garlic clove
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
Mix ingredients together in a blender or by hand. (This marinade can be stored for about a week in the fridge.)
Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker for 4 hours (on high) or 8 hours (on low)
Add broth, garlic, onions, celery
After the chicken has been cooked, remove it and shred it with two forks. Reserve ½ cup of the liquid and discard the rest
Add the hot sauce and BBQ sauce to the shredded chicken and place back in the slow cooker for 30 minutes on low
Serve chicken on lettuce wraps, top with 1 tbsp ranch sauce for each wrap, cucumber and red cabbage