Baked herb pita crisps with roasted carrot dip
From Heart and Stroke
4 large carrots, chopped (about 500 g/1 lb)
6 cloves garlic
30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh thyme or 5 mL (1 tsp) dried thyme leaves
1 can (156 mL) or 150 mL (2/3 cup) low sodium vegetable cocktail
Herbed Pita Crisps:
2 whole wheat pita pockets (15 -18 cm/6-7 inches)
15 mL (1 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
2 mL (1/2 tsp) each dried basil and oregano leaves
1. In large bowl, combine carrots with garlic, thyme and pepper. Add 60 ml (1/4 cup) of the juice and toss to coat. Spread on parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast in 200 C (400 F) oven for 45 minutes or until golden and tender. Let cool slightly.
2. Scrape carrots into food processor and add remaining juice. Puree, scraping down sides until smooth; set aside.
3. Herbed Pita Crisps: Separate pita pockets into 2 whole halves; place on baking sheet.
4. In small bowl, stir together oil, basil and oregano; brush over pitas. Bake in 200 C (400 F) oven for about 8 minutes or until golden and crisp. Let cool completely.
5. Break pita crisps into bite size pieces and serve with dip.
Tip: If you need more pita crisps simply double the recipe.
Store pita crisps in resealable bag for up to 3 days. Cover and refrigerate roasted carrot dip for up to 2 days.
Serve at room temperature.