Ok folks, here is it, the question that I know you are dying to have the answer for- ‘where can I get healthy(ish) fast food?”
Before I answer, I feel compelled to preface my suggestions with this:
• fast food is ‘fast’ for a reason… just stew on that for a minute
• you can’t control the quality of ingredients in these products, so if you are the type who really cares about this, like I do, buyer beware.
• Nothing and I mean NOTHING, can replace home cooked meals…so with that said, here are 3 go-to fast foods you could grab in a pinch…key word here is ‘pinch’.
1. Starbucks Protein Bistro Box. I like this because it is simple. Hard boiled eggs, cheese, fruit and a pita. It’s nothing fancy or overly processed; it’s effortless ingredients for a quick and easy snack.
2. Opa! If you haven’t jumped on the Greek train than I highly recommend you start now. The Mediterranean flavours will whisk away your taste buds to warmer climates- hopefully inspiring you to cook more of these flavours at home. For now, Greek fast food restaurants are easily found in every town. Choose a chicken or lamb, rice and a beautiful Greek salad and enjoy knowing you have kept French fries and nuggets off your waistline.
3. Wendy’s Apple Pecan Chicken Salad. My suggestion here is to skip the dried cranberries (and the pecans if you are up to it) and only use one of the two packs of dressings they give you. What is left? Fresh salad, chicken, blue cheese and apple; quick and easy for those on the road or crunched for time
Remember, fast food can pack on the pounds or if chosen smartly can be a quick go-to once in awhile. The trick is to not let yourself get too hungry, otherwise you will end up making a poor choice out of desperation.
So if you are like me and want to learn some mad skills in nutrition or want to lose some of that unwanted fat, check out my new book Your Weight Loss G-Spot!
A spicy savoury meal to perk up your taste buds! Pair this meal with shepherd’s pie!
- 1 medium-sized green pepper, sliced
- 1 medium-sized red pepper, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp honey
- Juice from one lime
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 large-sized plastic freezer bag
- Label your freezer bag
- To your freezer bag, add all ingredients. (Add the chicken to the bag last, so it’s the first ingredient poured into your slow cooker.)
- Remove as much air from the freezer bag as possible, seal, and lay flat in your freezer.
- The night before cooking, move the frozen bag to your refrigerator to thaw.
- The morning of cooking, pour contents of freezer bag into your slow cooker and cook on “low” setting for 4-8 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and tender.
Tip: You can also cook this meal in a pan on your stovetop!
#healthy #health #nutrition #recipe #delicious #dinner #chicken #fajita
Yields: one large-sized bag of chicken fajitas
Adapted from New Leaf Wellness recipes
Slow cooker meals are a great way to ensure dinner is ready by the time you walk through the door from work. Here is a delicious and healthy recipe, packed with protein! Ensure that you have food from other food groups by preparing these vegetables, Mushroom Yakitori!
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 2 celery stocks, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- ¼ cucumber finely diced
- ½ cup red cabbage shredded
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 16 oz chicken stock
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 head Iceberg lettuce
- Homemade ranch salad dressing- 1 tbsp for each lettuce wrap
Homemade ranch dressing:
- ½-3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp dried dill
- Sprinkle of sea salt and pepper
- 1 small minced garlic clove
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
Mix ingredients together in a blender or by hand. (This marinade can be stored for about a week in the fridge.)
Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker for 4 hours (on high) or 8 hours (on low)
Add broth, garlic, onions, celery
After the chicken has been cooked, remove it and shred it with two forks. Reserve ½ cup of the liquid and discard the rest
Add the hot sauce and BBQ sauce to the shredded chicken and place back in the slow cooker for 30 minutes on low
Serve chicken on lettuce wraps, top with 1 tbsp ranch sauce for each wrap, cucumber and red cabbage
White Bean Chili
2 cups chopped onion/1+ lb chopped swiss chard
5+ cloves chopped garlic
2 lbs ground chicken or turkey
Salt 3 tbs cumin, 4 tbs fennel seed, 2 tbs oregano, ground pepper
3 tsp chili powder, ½ tsp cayenne, ½ tsp red pepper flakes
4 15 oz cans of white cannellini beans, drained and washed
5 tbs flour (gluten free if needed)
1+ cup of corn niblets
6 cups low fat chicken stock
Parsley to taste
1. Cook onion until translucent with olive oil in heavy pot.
2. Add garlic and cook for 1 min. Add meat, 1 tsp salt, cumin, fennel seed, oregano, and chili powder.
3. Cook stirring frequently until meat is cooked through, be sure to get the brown bits off the bottom of the pot.
4. Stir flour into the mixture. Add beans, corn and chicken stock.
5. Bring mixture to a simmer, continue scrapping brown bits from bottom with a wooden spoon.
6. Add swiss chard and simmer for an hour and a half (or longer on very low heat), keep scraping the bottom every 10-15 min.
7. Check spicing, add ground pepper and/or salt as needed.
8. Add pepper flakes about 10 minutes before serving.
9. Laddle into warmed bowls, sprinkle with parsley