A hearty bowl of soup perfect for those cold nights spent inside. Pair it up with grain-free cauliflower pizza.
- 4 cups (1L) Beef broth
- 1/3 cup (80ml) long grain rice
- 2tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¾ cup (175ml) diced cabbage
- ½ cup (125ml) dried romono or cannellini beans, cooked, or 1 cup (250 ml) canned romano beans, drained.
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 tbsp (30ml) chopped fresh parsley or 2 tsp (10ml) dried
- 1 tbsp (15ml) chopped fresh sage or 1 tsp (5ml) dried
- 1 tbsp (15ml) chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp (5ml) dried
- ½ cup (125ml) fresh or frozen green peas, cooked
- ¼ tsp (1ml) nutmeg or to taste
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup (125ml) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
- ¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- fresh basil leaves
In large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add rice, cover and cook on a low heat for 18 minutes. Drain, reserving broth. Stir a little oil into rice to prevent sticking.
Add onion, leek, carrot, celery, potatoes, and garlic. Add reserving broth and simmer for 5 minutes before adding cabbage and cooked beans. Continue to cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Stir in cooked rice, peas, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste
Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with Parmigiano, olive oil, and basil
Source: Food & Drink
A Middle Eastern vegetable dish using grilled sweet potatoes, scrumptious! Complete the meal with these maple grilled burgers!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, washed well and sliced into ½ inch rounds
- 1 small red onion, sliced into ½ inch rounds
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp tahini (seseame paste)
- ½ lemon, juice
- 3 tbsp warm water
- A good pinch of chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- Heat barbecue to medium-high, approximately 400°C (200°F).
- Brush onion and toss sweet potatoes with 2 tbsp seasoned olive oil. Spread evenly over grill, trying to keep slices of onion rounds intact. Barbecue for 20 minutes, flipping once, midway, or until cooked through and lightly charred.
- To make dressing, combine tahini, lemon juice, warm water, and chili flakes. Stir until smooth, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- When sweet potatoes and onions are ready, pile them onto a platter, drizzle with tahini dressing, and scatter with pine nuts, olives and basil. Drizzle with remaining 1 tbsp of seasoned olive oil. Encourage guests to coat their veggies in the tahini sauce. It looks better separate, but tastes better mixed up!
Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Food and Drink 2015
Grilled Sweet Potatoes picture source
A nutritious grain-free pasta dish, with lots of veggies. Serve a side salad with this pasta.
- 5-6 large shrimp per person
- large handful of green beans, washed, ends snipped off and diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium carrot grated or thinly peeled using a vegetable peeler
- 1 box of Tolerant Lentil Pasta
- 1 onion diced
- 1-2 leeks washed and cut into thin ribbons
- 2 cloves of garlic diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- After all vegetables have been washed and diced
- In a large pan add: onion, leek, garlic and green beans with 1 tbsp oil. Saute on medium heat until translucent (about 7-10 minutes)
- bring water to a boil and add pasta (take)s about 7-9 minutes
- In the meantime add the carrots, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper and shrimp to the ingredients in the pan.
- Cook the shrimp until they turn a light pink colour..
- Add cooked pasta and the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Combine all ingredients together and enjoy!
A spicy savoury meal to perk up your taste buds! Pair this meal with shepherd’s pie!
- 1 medium-sized green pepper, sliced
- 1 medium-sized red pepper, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp honey
- Juice from one lime
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 large-sized plastic freezer bag
- Label your freezer bag
- To your freezer bag, add all ingredients. (Add the chicken to the bag last, so it’s the first ingredient poured into your slow cooker.)
- Remove as much air from the freezer bag as possible, seal, and lay flat in your freezer.
- The night before cooking, move the frozen bag to your refrigerator to thaw.
- The morning of cooking, pour contents of freezer bag into your slow cooker and cook on “low” setting for 4-8 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and tender.
Tip: You can also cook this meal in a pan on your stovetop!
#healthy #health #nutrition #recipe #delicious #dinner #chicken #fajita
Yields: one large-sized bag of chicken fajitas
Adapted from New Leaf Wellness recipes
Slow cooker meals are a great way to ensure dinner is ready by the time you walk through the door from work. Here is a delicious and healthy recipe, packed with protein! Ensure that you have food from other food groups by preparing these vegetables, Mushroom Yakitori!
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 2 celery stocks, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- ¼ cucumber finely diced
- ½ cup red cabbage shredded
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 16 oz chicken stock
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 head Iceberg lettuce
- Homemade ranch salad dressing- 1 tbsp for each lettuce wrap
Homemade ranch dressing:
- ½-3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp dried dill
- Sprinkle of sea salt and pepper
- 1 small minced garlic clove
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
Mix ingredients together in a blender or by hand. (This marinade can be stored for about a week in the fridge.)
Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker for 4 hours (on high) or 8 hours (on low)
Add broth, garlic, onions, celery
After the chicken has been cooked, remove it and shred it with two forks. Reserve ½ cup of the liquid and discard the rest
Add the hot sauce and BBQ sauce to the shredded chicken and place back in the slow cooker for 30 minutes on low
Serve chicken on lettuce wraps, top with 1 tbsp ranch sauce for each wrap, cucumber and red cabbage