A Middle Eastern vegetable dish using grilled sweet potatoes, scrumptious! Complete the meal with these maple grilled burgers!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, washed well and sliced into ½ inch rounds
- 1 small red onion, sliced into ½ inch rounds
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp tahini (seseame paste)
- ½ lemon, juice
- 3 tbsp warm water
- A good pinch of chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- Heat barbecue to medium-high, approximately 400°C (200°F).
- Brush onion and toss sweet potatoes with 2 tbsp seasoned olive oil. Spread evenly over grill, trying to keep slices of onion rounds intact. Barbecue for 20 minutes, flipping once, midway, or until cooked through and lightly charred.
- To make dressing, combine tahini, lemon juice, warm water, and chili flakes. Stir until smooth, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- When sweet potatoes and onions are ready, pile them onto a platter, drizzle with tahini dressing, and scatter with pine nuts, olives and basil. Drizzle with remaining 1 tbsp of seasoned olive oil. Encourage guests to coat their veggies in the tahini sauce. It looks better separate, but tastes better mixed up!
Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Food and Drink 2015