A hearty bowl of soup perfect for those cold nights spent inside. Pair it up with grain-free cauliflower pizza.
- 4 cups (1L) Beef broth
- 1/3 cup (80ml) long grain rice
- 2tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¾ cup (175ml) diced cabbage
- ½ cup (125ml) dried romono or cannellini beans, cooked, or 1 cup (250 ml) canned romano beans, drained.
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 tbsp (30ml) chopped fresh parsley or 2 tsp (10ml) dried
- 1 tbsp (15ml) chopped fresh sage or 1 tsp (5ml) dried
- 1 tbsp (15ml) chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp (5ml) dried
- ½ cup (125ml) fresh or frozen green peas, cooked
- ¼ tsp (1ml) nutmeg or to taste
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup (125ml) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
- ¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- fresh basil leaves
In large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add rice, cover and cook on a low heat for 18 minutes. Drain, reserving broth. Stir a little oil into rice to prevent sticking.
Add onion, leek, carrot, celery, potatoes, and garlic. Add reserving broth and simmer for 5 minutes before adding cabbage and cooked beans. Continue to cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Stir in cooked rice, peas, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste
Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with Parmigiano, olive oil, and basil
Source: Food & Drink