A Middle Eastern vegetable dish using grilled sweet potatoes, scrumptious! Complete the meal with these maple grilled burgers!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, washed well and sliced into ½ inch rounds
- 1 small red onion, sliced into ½ inch rounds
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp tahini (seseame paste)
- ½ lemon, juice
- 3 tbsp warm water
- A good pinch of chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- Heat barbecue to medium-high, approximately 400°C (200°F).
- Brush onion and toss sweet potatoes with 2 tbsp seasoned olive oil. Spread evenly over grill, trying to keep slices of onion rounds intact. Barbecue for 20 minutes, flipping once, midway, or until cooked through and lightly charred.
- To make dressing, combine tahini, lemon juice, warm water, and chili flakes. Stir until smooth, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- When sweet potatoes and onions are ready, pile them onto a platter, drizzle with tahini dressing, and scatter with pine nuts, olives and basil. Drizzle with remaining 1 tbsp of seasoned olive oil. Encourage guests to coat their veggies in the tahini sauce. It looks better separate, but tastes better mixed up!
Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Food and Drink 2015
Grilled Sweet Potatoes picture source
Want to experience bliss in a cup? Try this vanilla blueberry smoothie. Pair it with Protein Pancakes!
- 1 cup wild blueberries
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 frozen avocado
- 1/2 tbsp maca powder
- Pinch of ground vanilla bean/drop of vanilla extract to taste
- 1 cups cold water
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
Place all ingredients into your blender, blend until smooth and sip it on up.
We have all heard the saying “eat breakfast like a king”. Why should you eat like a king, you ask?
The benefits are numerous:
- Breakfast gets your metabolism revving, helping to burn more calories through your day
- A quality breakfast provides much needed macro and micro nutrients- key for maintaining a healthy immune system as we approach cooler weather
- Eating breakfast helps to keep blood sugars stabilized (and consequently hormones stabilized), better ensuring quality energy and sleep.
Here are my top protein packed, energy fuelling, yummy –in- your- tummy breakfast choices:
- Protein Power Pancakes.
The reason I love these so much is that you get that warm, comforting pancake texture but without all the white flours and sugars. The flax in this recipe adds some healthy fat that helps keep you feeling fuller longer and the nutmeg and cinnamon bring an added sweetness while helping to naturally lower your blood sugar. This by the way is great for those trying to drop body fat.
Find the recipe for this here
Stay tuned next week for the next yummy breakfast choice!
Pair up these pancakes with a Vanilla Blueberry Bliss Smoothie!