Flavourful muffins loaded with carrots, pineapples, and walnuts that you won’t be able to believe are gluten free! A smoothie will pair up perfectly with these muffins! Try the detox smoothie here!
- Unsalted butter or non-stick cooking spray, for the pan
- 1 ¾ cups GF all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp xanthan gum or corn starch
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp table salt
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped walnuts plus 12 walnut halves
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup finely grated peeled carrots (2-3 large carrots)
- ½ cup drained unsweetened crushed pineapple
- Heat the oven to 375.F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with unsalted butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum/corn starch, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg until well combined. Stir in the chopped walnuts. Make a well in the center and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, using a wire whisk, lightly beat the eggs. Add the sugar and whisk until smooth. Gradually whisk in the oil until well blended, then whisk in the vanilla. Stir in the carrots and pineapple.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the well in the flour mixture and stir until combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each cup until nearly full and mounding the batter in the center to the top of the cups, or slightly above. Place a walnut half on top of each.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. Immediately remove the muffins from the pan, transfer to a wire rack, and cool the muffins on their sides. Serve the muffins warm or at room temperature.
Makes 12 muffins
Adapted from Gluten Free magazine