White Bean Chili
2 cups chopped onion/1+ lb chopped swiss chard
5+ cloves chopped garlic
2 lbs ground chicken or turkey
Salt 3 tbs cumin, 4 tbs fennel seed, 2 tbs oregano, ground pepper
3 tsp chili powder, ½ tsp cayenne, ½ tsp red pepper flakes
4 15 oz cans of white cannellini beans, drained and washed
5 tbs flour (gluten free if needed)
1+ cup of corn niblets
6 cups low fat chicken stock
Parsley to taste
1. Cook onion until translucent with olive oil in heavy pot.
2. Add garlic and cook for 1 min. Add meat, 1 tsp salt, cumin, fennel seed, oregano, and chili powder.
3. Cook stirring frequently until meat is cooked through, be sure to get the brown bits off the bottom of the pot.
4. Stir flour into the mixture. Add beans, corn and chicken stock.
5. Bring mixture to a simmer, continue scrapping brown bits from bottom with a wooden spoon.
6. Add swiss chard and simmer for an hour and a half (or longer on very low heat), keep scraping the bottom every 10-15 min.
7. Check spicing, add ground pepper and/or salt as needed.
8. Add pepper flakes about 10 minutes before serving.
9. Laddle into warmed bowls, sprinkle with parsley
Here is my healthy ‘take’ on Nutella.
While the real stuff is loaded with sugar and processed ingredients, this option allows you a sweet treat without the guilt.
1/3 cup raw cacao (try the brand Navitas Naturals)
1/4 cup hemp hearts (I like Manitoba Harvest)
1/4 cup coconut oil (Spectrum is my favourite brand)]
1 tsp raw cocoa powder
1 tbsp honey (if serving over vegetables use 2 tbsp honey)
pinch of sea salt
Blend all ingredients together in a food processor until smooth.
Serve over a cut up apple for a great afternoon snack
3 tbsp =1 serving
GREEN LIVING CONTEST:
What’s the prize? 2 tickets to Green Living show
Date: March 27-29, 2015
Place: Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Toronto, Ontario
I hear you say now:
Now that you have my attention, how do I enter?
Enter via Facebook: Share this in your wall and like the post and then post using #greenliving along with your picture of the ways you live Green. Get creative!
Contest closes march 22 at midnight. Tickets will be mailed on the 23rd.
Tickets courtesy of OrganicsLive
Here are two ways I make sure I keep it green at home!
(Top: sustainable living reusable water bottle, Bottom: using vinegar as a cleaning solvent instead of chemicals)