We all know how comforting it is to stay warm, under blankets during the winter months – wishing our cold Canadian winter weather would just go away. We become like our other mammal friends and start to hibernate, putting on warm clothes and settling into bed early. As comforting as this sounds, this is what we want to avoid this winter.
Exercising should be part of our regular routine, regardless of what season it is. Exercise helps us keep on track of our weight goals, keeps our heart healthy, elevates our mood and helps increase our metabolism.
Here are some tips to help you get moving:
1. Choose to engage in an activity that you enjoy. If you have a gym membership, check the group classes that are offered.
Try out unlimited yoga for a month with Hot Power Vinyasa Yoga.
2. If you choose to exercise outdoors, warm up indoors first. You may not feel the cold as much once you get outside.
3. Exercise at home – do some cardio, floor exercises, run the stairs, use weights, jump ropes, resistance bands, exercise balls etc. Home exercise videos (P90X, Insanity and Jillian Michaels) and dance videos (Wii Fit, Zumba!) are a fun ways to get you moving. You can also look up some web workouts to give yourself some variety.
Here are some samples of quick Tambata programs:
4. Schedule exercise into your day – be realistic about how often you can fit it into your schedule and stick to it. Preplanning exercises helps. Commit to it at least 3 times/week.
5. Exercise with a friend – a friend can get you motivated when you may not be in the mood.
Set yourself a goal for this winter and reward yourself with a weekend getaway or a day at the spa. Exercise will help you look and feel great!